Take advantage of TWO opportunities to visit Washington, D.C., and see some of the best the Capital Area has to offer - the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air & Space Museum, some favorite area monuments and Arlington National Cemetery. These tours are being run by Caroline County, not the MOA, so be sure to read the instructions below for registering carefully.
The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's (NASM) annex at Washington Dulles International Airport in Fairfax County, Virginia. This facility encompasses over 760,000 square feet and offers up-close access to the world’s most important aviation treasures—including the Space Shuttle Discovery and the Enola Gay, a historically significant World War 2-era B-29 heavy bomber. With a blend of gently sloped walkways, viewing areas, conveniently located elevators, food court and well-versed guides, the Udvar-Hazy Center offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience. After all, have you ever touched a wheel of an actual space shuttle?
From the Udvar-Hazy Center, the tour continues with a “Windshield Tour” of the Washington, D.C. Capital Building/Mall area. Although not making any stops during this segment of the tour, the coach will drive through this area providing many views of the most recognized monuments in the capital.
Arlington National Cemetery is the final stop on the tour. Here, at the most renowned cemetery in the world, the preferred tour method is to purchase a separate ticket for the narrated open-air tram. Walking through the grounds is allowed; however, due to our short time here, viewing all of the important sights will NOT be possible by walking. Either way, viewing historical markers from every US war and conflict to the final resting place of the Kennedys is breathtaking. This emotional tour will be elevated by an opportunity to witness one of the most sacred customs of the United States Military at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. The ceremonial Changing of the Guard occurs every 30 minutes on the days of these tours. Since 1937, this Tomb has been guarded 365 days a year, every minute of every day. There is a 100% ID check and screening at the entrance to Cemetery.
These bus tours are offered for Thursday, June 8 (Tour 1) and Friday, June 9 (Tour 2). All tours will require 45 reservations.
Tour #1 (Thursday) registration deadline is April 10. All credit card purchases will be processed for Tour #1 on April 12, 2023. Tickets are $56 per person.
Tour #2 (Friday) registration deadline is April 17. All credit card purchases will be processed for Tour #2 on April 19, 2023. Tickets are $56 per person.
To secure your seat on either tour, call the Caroline County Visitor Center at (804) 633-3490. Caroline County staffers will call you on the April date above for final credit card information and confirmation of your spots on the tour.
The itineraries for the tour on both days are the same:
- 8 AM - Depart Meadow Event Park aboard a luxury motor coach to Air & Space Museum.
- 10 AM - Approximate arrival Air & Space Museum. NOTE: Lunch is on your own. A full-service McDonald’s Café is available on site. Packed lunches are not allowed inside the Museum. A limited number of benches are available outside. The Motor Coach will not make an additional lunch stop.
- 1 PM - Depart Air & Space for “Windshield Tour” of D.C. Capital Building area of Washington.
- 2 PM - Approximate arrival at Arlington Cemetery. No additional fee for entering the Cemetery, however, it is recommended to purchase a ticket for the Step-on-Step-Off guided two-hour tram tour. Pricing varies (child, adult, senior) from $10.50 to $20. Don't forget there is a 100% ID CHECK and screening at the entrance to the Cemetery.
- 4.30 PM - Departure for return to Meadow Event Park. Anticipate a two-hour non-stop trip to MEP (depending on traffic).